Happy New Year everyone!
I am so looking forward to this year. It just seems different! Most of us start our new year with some type of goal never to touch another dessert, cocktail, or dip after all the parties and family get-togethers. We are pretty sick of it all and can’t wait to get back to some schedule, right? And most of the time the “schedule” goes back to the same old food restrictions and promises for grueling workouts everyday. Well, what I am suggesting is that we crowd out those unreasonable and taxing schedules with some really easy steps to establish a “feel good day and mood”.
Four daily steps to take right now!
1. Drink only water—no alcohol, no fruit juices, no Starbuck’s specialty drinks or sodas (even diet sodas). This alone will cut extra, empty calories from your day by probably 500 calories (ex. 1 wine plus 1 frappucino). Remember 500 extra calories per day will pack on a pound at the end of the week.
2. Get in the kitchen & prepare good food—very simple, whole foods, no processed or boxed foods. Make really easy dinners by grilling lean proteins on your George Foreman grill which will take less than six minutes. Steam some fresh veggies (even two or three kinds at the same time) and add a beautiful bowl of fruit on the table. Ice water with lemon will round out the satisfying visual.
3. Eat two large salads and three fruits every day—get more fiber and more nutrition with antioxidants and phytochemicals. Most important you will be more mindful of your food! Be sure to add nuts, seeds, and dried fruit. Use roasted walnut oil or extra virgin olive oil and a tasty vinegar to dress your salads. Please no commercial salad dressings that are loaded with chemicals that no one can pronounce…(see recipe to the left for Easy and Healthy Blue Cheese Dressing)
4. Breathe deeply and more often—relax with yoga and pilates. Do the Red Stop Light Meditation that I do: Keeping eyes open(!), inhale through your nose for 4 counts, HOLD the breath for 7 counts, then exhale for 8 counts through the mouth. Complete 4 cycles and you will have more circulating oxygen in your blood and your brain. (Did you know that in order to burn fat our bodies need oxygen? Think of all those stressed out, overweight, shallow breathers…) My good friend and The Studio yoga instructor Shannon Scott says, “breathe in to root your feet to the ground and exhale to make your head blossom”! What kind of flowers do you “see” growing out of your head?
If you just do these four steps for 90 days you will be have cleansed your body’s systems, boosted your immunity, and calmed your frazzled brain.
1. Drink only water
2. Have fun in the kitchen cooking your food
3. Have 2 large salads and 3 fruit per day
4. Breathe deeper and with more intention
I would love to help you reach a healthy weight, handle your hormonal shifts, help your husband get rid of belly fat, stop your sugar addiction, make a complete diet change, or show you how to shop and prepare easy food for yourself and your family.